Licensure Requirements

What's required for certified staff?

Specific information regarding a teacher, coach, or administrator license, authorization, or certification may be obtained from the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners (BOEE). The BOEE may be contacted by calling 515-281-3245 or by visiting the BOEE’s website.

The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners is responsible for all issues relating to licensure in the state of Iowa. 

Mandatory Reporter Training

Mandatory Child & Dependent Adult Abuse Reporter Training

In 2019, HF 731 modified the requirements for mandatory reporter training for child and dependent adult abuse. The Iowa Department of Human Services is now providing the trainings online for free. The AEA is providing the same trainings online for a fee.  Human Resources will accept either the free DHS trainings or the paid AEA trainings (choose one or the other). 

The new trainings will be two hours each for both child abuse and dependent adult abuse. You need to complete both

  • Your completion certificates will be issued through the provider. 

  • The new trainings will be valid for three years. 

  • Once these trainings have been completed, updated refresher trainings can then be taken for one hour each as long as the trainings have not expired. 

  • Mandatory reporter training completed prior to July 1, 2019 will still be valid for five years from the date of completion. 

Free version: Mandatory reporter trainings for child and dependent adult abuse through DHS